Here’s everything you need to know about getting a working holiday visa to join EA Ski & Snowboard in Japan this season.

Working Holiday Visas for Japan: Everything You Need to Know

<< Back To Latest News
Last updated on
September 20, 2018

If you want to join EA Ski & Snowboard in Japan this season, one thing you will need to organise is a visa. While arranging a visa might sound like a daunting process, it's surprisingly easily Here’s everything you need to know about getting a working holiday visa for Japan.

What is a working holiday visa?

A working holiday visa is a permit that allows travellers to work in the country they are visiting. A working holiday visa enables you to experience living in a foreign country without the hassle of having to find work sponsorship. They are more flexible than work visas and easier to obtain, but they won't allow you to live in the country permanently.  

There are a couple of things to be aware of when applying for a visa. Firstly, you must be over the age of 18 and have enough funds in your bank account to live in the country while you're looking for work.

Am I eligible for a working holiday visa for Japan?

You are eligible for a working holiday visa in Japan if you meet the following criteria:  

  • You are between 18 and 30 years of age  
  • You are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Korea, France, Germany, The United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Spain, Argentina, Chile or Iceland
  • You have a valid passport  
  • You have not held a Japanese working holiday visa in the past  

Unfortunately, American citizens are not eligible for working holiday visas in Japan at this stage.

How do I apply?

Unfortunately, you can't apply for a Japan working holiday visa online. You'll need to visit the nearest Japanese embassy in your country of citizenship. So be aware, if you're currently overseas, you'll need to return home and apply for your visa before heading to Japan.

Likewise, if you're planning on travelling before heading to Japan, it's best to organise your visa and flights at home before you leave so you don't need to make a trip back.

What documents do I need?

Remember to take the following documents with you when you visit the nearest Japanese embassy:  

  • A valid passport. Your passport must be valid for the whole time you are in Japan
  • A completed visa application form
  • A short paragraph explaining why you want to work and live in Japan  
  • A basic itinerary for 12 months including your flight details and accommodation for when you arrive in Japan. Your EA Training Consultant will help you with this
  • A copy of your CV  
  • Proof that you have reasonable funds to support yourself while in Japan. If you are a British citizen, you will need to provide your bank statements from the last three months. For non-British citizens, you will need to supply a signed and stamped letter from your bank stating you have the funds to support yourself while away.  A simple printed internet statement is not accepted
  • A passport photo

How long does it take to get a working holiday visa for Japan?

In most cases, it takes about seven days for a visa to be processed and returned. But, it some instances it may take longer, so make sure you allow plenty of time when applying.

In general, you can't apply for a visa more than 90 days out from travelling to Japan. But if you need to apply earlier than that, just get in touch with your local Japan embassy to arrange an appointment.

Handy tips

Here are three handy tips that will help make the process of applying for a visa run smoothly

  • Don't forget; your passport will need to valid during your stay in Japan. Make sure you check the expiration date before applying for your visa.
  • Plan as far in advance if you can. Even if you’re not looking to join an EA course until next winter, we recommend you reserve your spot now so you don't miss any key dates or early booking discounts.  
  • Make photocopies all your documents.

For more information on Japanese working holiday visas, and to find out the specific application criteria for your country, check out the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

<< Back To Latest News

Ready To Start Your Instructing Adventure?

See If You Qualify for a course with us! We can let you know where in the world you can become a Ski or Snowboard Instructor.

The Quickest & Easiest Way Become A Qualified Ski Or Snowboard Instructor

Paid Instructor Job Offer

Guaranteed Ski Instructor Job Offer so you can start earning as soon as you pass.

Accommodation & Staff Liftpass

Accommodation is included while you are training & a staff lift pass will let you ski all season long.

Qualifications & Training

Internationally recognised qualifications from world class training staff.

The Most Locations & Resorts

See If You Qualify

Fill in the form below to see if you qualify for a course with us.
We can let you know where you can become a ski or snowboard instructor.

Grab Your FREE Guide To Becoming a Ski Or Snowboard Instructor NOW!

Guide Includes:

• Guide to becoming an instructor
• Fast Track EA Video
• HUGE discount voucher
• A chance to WIN A FREE COURSE

Resource Center

Everything you need to prepare you for your instructor program